Sellers: Tips for Keeping your Staged Home "Show-Ready"
After your home is Staged – Open House & Showing Tips for Sellers
- Fully Open all window coverings – you want buyers to see the views & let in all the light
- Turn on lights in hallways and all light fixtures and lamps in each room
- To keep your home smelling fresh, use one of these safe products regularly on carpets, drapes, & upholstered furniture: Pure Ayre spray or Pure Citrus spray (both are non-chemical and safe for people & pets). Air out the house as often as possible and never allow anyone to smoke inside.
- If you have pets, keep their food dishes out of sight; remove the cat litter box to the garage (or outside) for showings. Try to take pets out of the house & yard during showings (some buyers may not be fond of pets)
- Ensure that the kitchen & bathrooms are kept sparkling clean
- Kitchen counters should be clear except for items that your stager has advised be there
- Kitchen Trash should be removed daily and hidden away out of sight
- Dining table should be staged only with items as recommended by your stager
- Make beds daily, standing up all the decorative pillows
- Keep “good” towels folded in 3rds on towel racks (put wet towels in the dryer as you leave)
- Ensure that the toilet seat lids are always down in all bathrooms
- Keep all bathroom toiletries stored out of sight in drawers or cupboards
- Bathroom wastebaskets & cleaning supplies should also be stored out of sight
- Replace any burned-out light bulbs in fixtures & lamps throughout the house
- For safety, remove family photos & all items with a family member’s name; hide bills, bank statements & mail; hide all valuables and prescription medicines in a safe place
- TV’s should not be on during showings; if any music is playing, it should be FM easy-listening or light jazz music
- The walkway to the front door should be kept swept and tidy; colorful pots of flowers are a nice welcoming touch
If you’re selling your home in today’s challenging real estate market, taking a few minutes each day to make sure buyers find your home appealing, clean, and a place they want to call “home” will be well worth your time! For more tips and staging assistance, contact your local home staging professional … we’re here to help!
Maureen Bray ~ HGTV Designer & Home Staging Expert
(Photos by Room Solutions Staging)